February 4, 2015

--> The Reachability Factor 
by Kim Nowatzke

Where is my favorite store? When is it open? What is the phone number? Well into my 40s, I admit that I may think differently than those a few years – ahem – decades younger than me. Yes, I still even use a phone book from time to time. In fact, before I got my first smart phone a few years ago, I still carried a phone book in my car. A somewhat crumpled and dirty one tucked under my passenger seat. It was my back-up plan for whenever I got lost, needed to find a business and more. And, although I readily consult websites and Facebook, sometimes I prefer to call a store and talk to a real live person.

No matter the method, I’m frustrated when a business’ basic information such as street address, phone number or hours are nowhere – or very difficult – to be found.

How easily can your target audience reach you and vital information about your business? 

The Marketing Donut recommends including your address, email and phone number on all pages of your marketing materials – both online and offline. And, if space is lacking, include a QR code that links to a mobile business card so your target audience has access to all the info they need.   

Maybe you have shifted away from your website to focus more of your attention on your Facebook page. As someone approaching 60 reminded me last night, “Not everyone is on Facebook.” Are you making the mistake of only posting information on special events on your Facebook page when the not-so-techie customers are just now getting comfortable with looking up your website?   

On the other hand, as The Marketing Donut points out, there’s also those in your target audience who won’t even believe you exist if you haven’t entered the world of social media. Are you using Facebook and Twitter to your greatest advantage to spark conversations, increase your presence and provide up-to-the-minute information?

And, for those people that still choose to call you, how user-friendly is your phone system? What is the recording when you’re closed? Does it list hours? Can customers leave a message?

If a customer chooses to contact you, is it on a more formal form on your website (that’s rarely checked?) or through a personal email address? There needs to be a plan in place on not only who is responsible to handle customer queries but how quickly those responses are turned around.

You may have a great product, a super marketing plan and, seemingly all your “I”s dotted and “T”s crossed, but if your customers can’t find you, then it’s all for naught. They’ll just skip the stress and head to your competitors.